Caring for Today, Growing for Tomorrow | Inaugural ESG Insights report marks first step on continued journey
In keeping with our mission to help people live better, this spring, Extendicare launched an inaugural Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Insights report.
While this is our first opportunity to explicitly detail our ESG initiatives to date, we have a long tradition of advancing ESG strategies to improve the communities where we live and work.
The Insights report highlights actions undertaken across the Company over the past year to deliver care at the highest level, and begins a continued ESG reporting journey.
Like everything we do, our approach is focused on people, driven by our ongoing commitment to improve our own care programs, for those we serve today, and the sector in which we operate, to meet the increasing needs of those who will need our care for years to come.
Ongoing ESG priorities underway across Extendicare include:
- Building environmentally sustainable communities
- Redeveloping our older long-term care homes
- Investing in energy-efficient retrofits to existing long-term care homes
- Investing in technology and digital solutions to limit paper waste
- Commitment to improving care every day with the launch of our national, multi-year plan
- Supporting the success and well-being of our teams, while growing the workforce
- Engaging residents and families as partners in care and organizational change
- Building partnerships across the health system, and investing in new care models to lead innovation
- Giving back to our communities
- Strong and diverse leadership team, including recognition by the Globe and Mail as one of the top Canadian companies for representation of women in leadership roles
- Code of Business Conduct that guides ethical operations organization-wide
- Robust enterprise-wide risk management approach
- Board comprised of independent directors in eight out of the total nine positions
Supported by our Board of Directors, the Extendicare Senior Leadership Team will build on these initial Insights and continue to make progress in advancing our ESG journey.
We look forward to sharing further updates on an annual basis, and are committed to doing our part to build a better system for those who need our care today and the growing number of seniors who will need our care tomorrow.